2012 STaR Symposium and WVAS meeting a success
The 4th biennial STaR Symposium and 87th annual meeting of the West Virginia Academy of Science April 20-21, 2012 at West Virginia State University was one of the biggest recent gatherings of scientists in West Virginia.
It featured students, faculty and successful West Virginia researchers who have transformed ideas from the brain to the lab to production and to market, and many others. Keynotes speaker were:
Scroll down to find a registration list, presentation winners, speaker presentations and more.
Sponsors: Thanks to our sponsors who made it possible:
Attendees: More than 350 college and university faculty members, researchers, graduate and undergraduate students, policymakers and members of the high-tech business community registered to attend. See the list of pre-registered participants.
Agenda: The STaR Symposium/WVAS meeting featured two full days packed with opportunities to collaborate and learn about research, commercialization and more. View the STaR Symposium-WVAS printable agenda.
Science Teacher of the Year: West Teays Elementary School teacher Barabar LaVon’Tootie’ Black received the John Warner Outstanding Teacher Award from the West Virginia Academy of Science. Read the news release.
Updated Abstract and Program booklet: Read the printed program, including abstracts (with post-printing updates).
Oral and Poster Presentation winners: Read the names and affiliation of our presentation winners and student high-performance computational resources winner here.
Speaker presentations: Access the presentations of speakers who used Powerpoint below.
- STaR/WVAS circulating powerpoint with sponsors
- Panel 1 – Biotech Success Stories Title Slide
- Panel 1 – Biotech Success Stories, Protea – Matt Powell
- Panel 1 – Biotech Success Stories, Vandalia – Justin Swick
- Panel 1 – Biotech Success Stories, Progenesis – Richard Niles
- Panel 1 – Biotech Success Stories, TRAX – Jamie Miller
- Panel 2 – Transforming Your Discovery Title Slide
- Panel 2 – Transforming Your Discovery, Eyemarker – Chris Kolanko
- Panel 2 – Transforming Your Discovery, Office of Tech Transfer – Gary Morris
- Panel 2 – Transforming Your Discovery, Innovation Center – Ryan Wall
- Panel 3 – Gov’t and Civic Groups to Help Title Slide
- Panel 3 – Gov’t and Civic Groups to Help, SBA – Emma Wilson
- Panel 3 – Gov’t and Civic Groups to Help, Angel Network – Ron Basini
- Panel 4 – Funding Opportunities Title Slide
- Panel 4 – Funding Opportunities, NSF EPSCoR and State – Jan Taylor
- Panel 4 – Funding Opportunities, NIH – Don Primerano
- Panel 4 – Funding Opportunities, NASA – Majid Jaridi
Photos: See photos posted by WVSU on its Facebook site.